[Pw_forum] why I can not get the correct band gap of TiO2?

Eyvaz Isaev eyvaz_isaev at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 26 14:38:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

First, some technical comments.

>  ecutwfc=16,

It looks very small, use 30Ry. Besides add ecutrho,
say, 300Ry, for  the augmented charge.

> &IONS
>
>   ion_dynamics='bfgs',
>
>   upscale=10
>
>   /

For the band gap problem you do not need ionic
dynamics.

> K_POINTS
>
> 36
K-points you used looks strange. How did you generate
these points? They have equal weight and seem to be
k-points along high symmetry directions.
Use K_POINTS {automatic}.

Now about your question. DFT is known to give
underestimated and sometime wrong band gap for
semiconductors and insulators. You can improve it
using the LDA+U approximation.
As far as I am aware Exact Exchange is still in
development in Espresso.

Bests,
Eyvaz.