[Pw_forum] ion calculation

Nicola Marzari marzari at MIT.EDU
Sat Jun 10 16:26:59 CEST 2006

Dear Lin,

the total energy calculated for an infinite periodic system is well
defined only
for a neutral unit cell.

By controlling and changing the number of electrons in CP or PWSCF, you can
describe an ion, but in order to maintain neutrality the code adds a uniform
background charge of opposite sign.

For an isolated system, you obtain the correct result in the limit of
large unit cells;
this limit is reached fast if you add your own multipole corrections.
For the case
of a bulk system, the story is a more complex - start by reading the
Makov-Payne PRB
of 1995, and then some of the more recent works in PRL by Peter Schultz.

                nicola