[Pw_forum] symmetry operation not allowed

Stefano de Gironcoli degironc at sissa.it
Fri Apr 18 16:30:11 CEST 2008

Lily Anh wrote:
> Thanks for your suggestion.
> I have changed ecutwfc (from 20-50Ry every 5 Ry), ecutrho (200-1200
> every 50), k grid. But nothing works. How to change nr1 nr2 nr3,
> larger or smaller?
nr1, nr2 and nr3 are input parameters in the &control namelist that
usually take a default value on the basis of ecutrho but can be
specified directly  when needed (as in this case) .
> The structure should have 4 symmetry operations while the code can not
> find any symmetry. I want to reduce the calculation time.
the code finds correctly all 4 symmetry operations but discards them
(except the trivial identity) because of the incompatibility of the
required fractional translation with the FFT grid. By choosing a
different origin for your system it could be possible to make the
fractional translations simple  fractions of the fundamental lattice
vectors.

Hope it helps,
   stefano