[Pw_forum] fermi level

J. D. Burton jlz101 at unlserve.unl.edu
Thu Aug 14 19:35:11 CEST 2008

Dear vega,

The "Fermi energy" is the highest occupied energy, and for an insulator this
is the valence band maximum. Just plot the DOS or the bands and look for the
gap and your "Fermi energy" is at the bottom of the gap. Alternatively, for
insulators make sure you have occupations='fixed' and search your scf output
file for "highest occupied" or "lowest unoccupied". If these are not listed
you would need to run an nscf calc *using a k-point grid that samples the
complete BZ (usually the same as your scf calc, or more dense if you want)*
with an increased nbnd (larger than the number of valence electrons) so that
some conduction band levels are also calculated.

Cheers,
J. D.

J. D. Burton, Ph.D.
jlz101 at unlserve.unl.edu
University of Nebraska Lincoln
Physics and Astronomy
Office Ph. (402) 472 2499
213C Ferguson Hall
"The job of a scientist is to generate wrong ideas as fast as possible."
-- Murray Gell-Mann