[Pw_forum] startingwfc='file' ?

alan chen chenhanghuipwscf at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 23:27:00 CEST 2008

Dear PWSCF users,
      I am now running a calculation of insulators in an external electric
field. From the example31, I need to first run a self-consistent calculation
and then run another self-consistent calculation with 'lelfield' option
turning on. In the README file, it says that 'startingwfc' should be 'file'
because 'a copy of the wavefunctions is read from the disk'.
      However, whenever I set 'startingwfc' to 'file', I got the CRASH which
reads: 'error in zgefa'. I believe that is because the wavefuction is NOT
properly read in. And if I set 'startingwfc' to 'atomic', the code runs
smoothly.
      I want to ask: 1) whether  it is necessary to set 'startingwfc' to
'file'? 2) if it is necesary, how to collect the wave functions corrrectly
in the previous run?
      Thank you very much.

Hanghui
Department of Physics,