[Pw_forum] forming a supercell for a (10, 0) nanotube attached to a polymer

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:09:21 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Elie M <elie.moujaes at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> Thanks for the reply..actually I am trying to reproduce the Molecular
> dynamics obtained in the paper entitled" Helical Wrapping of SWNT by water
> soluble Poly (--phenyleneethynylene) , nano letters, 2009, Vol 9 No 4,
> 1414-1418 where did the MD of 10,0 nanotube with a polymer called PPES. I
> was able to build the 10,0 nantube but have no idea how to attach the
> polymer; in other words how to get the positions of the several atoms in
> the molecule and to attach it to the nanotube to build the supercell which
> will be ready for calculations..This is the software  am looking for..

well, again, this is *definitely* the wrong forum.
the paper is about classical MD. i actually know
a few of the authors personally.

you don't really need to get a perfect position.

you can pretty much build the polymer with
a simple molecule editor to be a straight chain,
move it somewhere in space, merge it with the
CNT structure and a suitably sized pre-equilibrated
water box while removing the overlaps. then
carefully relax the structure and equilibrate to
the proper density. this is all pretty straightforward
classical MD protocol for multi-component systems.

using quantum espresso programs on
any of this will just be a massive waste
of time. i strongly suggest you pick a
more suitable forum to get advice, and
looks at tutorials, e.g. for proteins embedded
in lipid bilayers (which require a similar
setup and equilibration protocol).

axel.