[xcrysden] installation help

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Mon Jun 22 09:40:30 CEST 2009

On Sun, June 21, 2009 23:07, sreekar guddeti wrote:
>  xcrysden source package with external libraries (TCL +TK + Mesa)

Dear Sreekar,
I would strongly advise against compiling XCD yourself; I consider mtself
to be an experienced developer, still it took me one full day to compiler
XCD correctly the first time, due to the number of complex libraries it
uses.

Nevertheless, if you really want to compile it make sure you have
downloaded the 1.6 pre-release version (which is remarkably stable) and
send us a copy of the make.sys file, so we can check it for errors.

Finally, please note that installing the 1.6 binary shared-libraries
version is extremely simple, has no significant drawback compared to
compiling the source yourself and may actually use your video card's 3D
acceleration more effectively that compiling with internal libraries.

best regards

--
Lorenzo Paulatto
SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS (Trieste)