[xcrysden] installation of xcrys prelease 1.6

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Wed Mar 18 17:15:59 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 14:42 +0100, Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:
> Dear Tone,
>
> >> If I correctly understood the meaning of that file, one could correctly compile if linking
> >> with GL libraries other than Apple ones and then run using Apple X11 server. The first
> >> step was successfull, but the second wasn't in my case.
> >> Do I need to install another X11 server (for instance macports one) in order to make it work?
> >

> > As far as I know, Apple X11 sever should do. (I am keep using "as far as
> > I know", because I am not a mac user, and my mac experience \approx 0).
>
> I'm a new macuser, so my macexperience is \epsilon, \epsilon \to 0
>

> > Did the precompiled version work on Apple X11 server? If yes, then you
> > have the answer.
>
> The precompiled works with Apple X11, and it points to Apple's X11 dynamic libraries. My
> compiled version however points to the X11 libraries I used to compile. Maybe that's the
> source of trouble.

I will consult with some of my colleagues that know mac better than me.

> Anyway, it seems that the program stops when executing ftnunit. What does this piece of
> sotware do?

It is a simple fortran program that writes a fortran unit 99. For all
nowadays compilers that I know fortran unit files are named fort.*,
however in the past the HP-UX fotran compiler have written it as ftn.*
So xcrysden uses ftnunit program to determine the name of the fortran
unit.

> It may be that the issue comes from fortran libraries, rather than GL.
> In fact even if the precompiled version works, it gives a warning of missing library
> (libg2c, which is part of g77),

Because the program has been compiled with g77. Anyway xcrysden uses several fortran programs
behind the scene, so if they don't work, xcrysden behaviour will be weird.

> which I solved by installing g77. To compile my version I
> used gfortran instead, so that this ftnunit links to the gfortran library now (but doesn't
> work...).

Why? ftnunit is so simple, basically a one-liner program. Here it is:

      program ftnunit
c     used by XCrySDen to find out what is the name of fortran unit
      write(99,*) 'test'
      end

Regards, Tone

PS: I would like to know if somebody knows a better way to figure out
the name of the fortran unit as done by ftnunit program.

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html