[xcrysden] quality of the images

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Wed May 20 12:00:12 CEST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-20 at 02:48 -0700, sara yazdani wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The problem is that I only can print the images I have to .eps and for
> the jpeg and other formats I receive the followong error:
>
> couldn't execute "/home/sara/xcrys_tmp/xc_8850/tmp.ppm": permission
> denied

In order to print in PNG and alike xcrysden needs ImageMagick external
program (which is available probably in all linux distributions). Try in
the terminal:

which convert

The answer should be something like:

/usr/bin/convert

If there is no answer, please install the ImageMagick
(http://www.imagemagick.org/). If you are using xcrysden version 1.5*
then xcrysden will automatically recognize ImageMagick and do a proper
job.

If your version of xcrysden is older you need to edit
~/.xcrysden/custom-definitions file and add something like:

set xcMisc(ImageMagick.convert) /path/to/my/convert

> Also, please let me know how I can increase the size of the image, as
> you mentioned in your email.

Maximize your xcrysden window, and then zoom as much as possible the
structure. (this should be sufficient)

Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html