[xcrysden] About isovalue

Scott Beckman spbeckman at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 14:40:08 CEST 2010

The charge is not calculated at EFermi, but it is the sum of the charge
from the Kohn-Sham states integrated over the Brillouin zone and summed
from the lowest state to the EFermi.

The integral over the charge distribution (on your XSF grid) should
equal "nelec" from PWSCF.

The minimum and maximum value tells you the min. and max. value on the
XSF grid.  So if you have a uniform charge concentration min=max.  For
Si it is likely that 0.0014 will be located somewhere in an interstitial
region and 0.87 will be located in a bond-charge.

I wouldn't say that there is any "ideal" isovalue.  I would fiddle with
this value and look at the charge distribution.  This will allow you to
develop qualitative picture of how your system works.