[xcrysden] .XSF shows always atoms not density/potential

tone tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Fri Dec 24 15:09:54 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 11:07 -0800, Daryoush Shiri wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have used rho2xsf program and generated .XSF file including data
> blocks of RHO, LDOS of SIESTA. But when I open it using Xcrysden I
> always see the atoms only and Data Grid section in tools does not show
> me the density or potential plots.

This is from the FAQ:

Q: I am trying to display the isosurface/contours, but I cannot see
them?

A: Most likely the reason is that Lighting-Off display-mode is switched
on, which cannot render the isosurface/contour. The Lighting-Off
display-mode can render only molecules or crystals and nothing more. If
you want to display isosurfaces, forces, Wigner-Seitz cells, etc., then
switch to Lighting-On mode. Read here the description about Lighting-Off
and Lighting-On display-modes.

If this does not solve the problem, please, check these documents:

http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/density.html
http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/isocontrol.html
http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/plane1control.html

and if you still cannot see anything, send another email describing the
sequence of steps you followed in trying to see the density.

Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html