[xcrysden] properties of fonts

Jian-Xin Zhu jxzhu at lanl.gov
Tue Jul 20 19:20:11 CEST 2010

Dear Prof. Kokalj and XCryDen Users,

I tried to open the link

http://www.xcrysden.org/

but got the following

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.xcrysden.org/

The following error was encountered:

Connection to 212.235.213.51 Failed
The system returned:

     (113) No route to host
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is squid at lanl.gov.

Generated Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:17:30 GMT by proxyout.lanl.gov (squid)

Is this a problem with the firewall or proxy in our institute?

Thanks,

Jian-Xin Zhu

On Jun 11, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Tone Kokalj wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-06-11 at 09:55 +0200, Gabriele Sclauzero wrote:
>> Dear users,
>>
>>     I want to increase the size of the fonts in the xcrysden GUI
>> (buttons, menus). I succeeded by specifying a line like this:
>>
>> *font: -*-helvetica-medium-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-
>>
>> in the Xcrysden_defaults file. Anyway I'm not completely satisfied of
>> the results, since the fonts are bigger but they look as they have
>> a too
>> thin body (I don't remember the technical word to say that...). Where
>> can I learn all the possible options for this *font: definition
>
> That is nothing but the X11 specification of the font and "*" are
> wildcards. Try the xfontsel. It is an ancient x11 font-selection
> program
> with the possibility to set all the fields. Select the font there and
> paste it to Xcrysden_defaults file.
>
>> Is there a possibility to add an antialiasing options, in order to
>> make
>> those fonts to look smoother?
>
> While the new Tk support the antialiased fonts (actually on my system,
> xcrysden uses antialiased fonts), I don't know if this will work via
> Xcrysden_defaults file.
>

>> Another issue which came about after increasing the font size: the
>> default window size happens to be a bit too small to accomodate all
>> the
>> buttons with the larger fonts, so that I have to resize it manually
>> after starting xcrysden. Where and how do I specify my default
>> window size?
>
> If you are referring to xcrysden main-window, I believe there is
> little
> you can do: its sizes are hard-coded so as that all "buttons" fits
> within the panel. Usually this works well with the default font, but
> when larger font is specified one faces your problem.
>
> Regards, Tone
> --
> Anton Kokalj
> J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
> (tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)
>
> Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
> See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Jian-Xin Zhu, Ph.D
Theorertical Division, MS B262
Los Alamos National Laboratory