[xcrysden] Error: while executing exec sh

Izaak Williamson izaakw89 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 22:51:36 CEST 2010

As posted January of 2009:

>Managed to launch it on Windows machine remotely via CygWin. It starts no prob
>but can't seem to display/open anything. In particular, I tried opening every
>single file on espresso 4.0.4 output example 8 with calculate DOS (I chose
>display optimized coordinates), it always gives the same error of
>
>Error: while executing exec sh /share/apps/xcrysden-1.6/ scripts/pwo2xsf.sh
>--optcoor /share/apps/espresso-4.0.4/ examples/example08/reference/ ni.dos.out >
>pwo2xsf.xsf
>
>no luck with other coordinate type or any other example either
>
>Jonas
I received the same error message that Mr. Jonas Baltrusaitis has reported. I am
using XCrySDen on linux and every one of my recent output files from a 'relax'
calculation reported this same error when I attempted to "Display Optimized
Coordinates" on XCrySDen. Then I noticed in the output file, there were no
CELL_PARAMETERS listed so after manually putting them in and entering the
following into the heading of the pwo2xsf.sh script:

LANG=C
LC_ALL=C
export LANG LC_ALL

the error goes away. However, when I try to select  "reduce dimension to 2D" and
"Display Optimized Coordinates",  nothing is displayed and in the terminal it
says:

Number of Atoms:  0
Number of Frames: 0
Estimated number of bonds = 0
sInfo(dim) = 0; periodic(dim) = 0

Some of the older output files display the optimized coordinates correctly and
in the terminal it reads this same thing but with sInfo(dim) = 2. Is that the
only problem keeping my new files from working properly? How might I go about
fixing this?

Thanks,

Izaak Williamson
Research Assistant