[xcrysden] Problem on OpenSUSE

Darkins, Robert R.Darkins at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Mar 7 21:58:23 CET 2011

Hello,

I am having a problem getting XCrysDen to run on OpenSUSE 11.3. I have done the following:

1. Downloaded the pre-compiled binaries
2. Extracted the tar.gz to ~/XCrySDen-1.4.1bin-static and cd'd into it
3. Configured it like so:
 $ export XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=~/XCrySDen-1.4.1bin-static
 $ mkdir ~/xcrys_tmp
 $ export XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=~/xcrys_tmp
4. Then ran it:
 $ ./xcrysden

But I get the output shown below. I also tried the above for the latest version, 1.6, but got the exact same problem.

Any suggestions? Thank you very much!

|****************************************************************|
|*                                                              *|
|*  XCrySDen - (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*              =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*--------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                                              *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (Tone.Kokalj at ijs.si)                         *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia               *|
|*                                                              *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2004 by Anton Kokalj                  *|
|*                                                              *|
|****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.4.1

  XCRYSDEN reference:
    A. Kokalj: J. Mol. Graphics Modelling, 1999, Vol. 17, 176--179.
    A. Kokalj: Comput. Mater. Science, 2003, Vol. 28, 155--168.
    A. Kokalj and M. Causa: Proceedings of High Performance Graphics
                            Systems and Applications European Workshop,
                            Bologna, Italy, 2000, 51--54.

  Please report bugs to: Tone.Kokalj at ijs.si

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj: J. Mol. Graphics Modelling, 1999, Vol. 17,
        176--179. Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

Xlib: No protocol specified

Application initialization failed: this isn't a Tk applicationcouldn't connect to display ":0.0"
Error in startup script: can't read "tk_version": no such variable
    while executing
"package provide Tk $tk_version"
    (file "/home/robert/XCrySDen-1.4.1bin-static/Tcl/xcInit.tcl" line 400)