[xcrysden] CRYSTAL function greyed out

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Oct 18 14:05:49 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I have been asked to install XCrysDen on a Debian Squeeze workstation. The
installation was pretty straight forward as we were using the XCrySDen-1.5.25-
bin-shared version of the program.
However, the user wishes to use the CRYSTAL function of the program but
unfortunately that is greyed out in
File -> Open CRYSTAL-95/98/03/06

I have already tried some older versions and also I have tried building the
program from source code. Neither options did work.

One should note that we do not have a version of CRYSTAL installed on that
machine. The user told me it is working fine on her machine at home but was
unable to reveal how it was done.

If I only want to view/edit CRYSTAL files, do I need to have the program
installed locally in order to make XCrysDen work here?

I have to add that I am not using the program personally but I am doing the IT
support of the Linux clusters we have.

All the best from a sunny London

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen