[xcrysden] simple question about building supercells

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Wed Mar 21 11:24:27 CET 2012

On Fri, 2012-03-16 at 17:51 -0300, Elie Albert Moujaes wrote:
> Dear XCrySDen users,
>
> I was wondering if XCrySDen can build supercells ,if the atoms per unit cell of
> the system  and lattice vectors are given. If not , any program you know of that
> can create supercells and display the atomic positions in the supercell.. (I
> want to build a supercell for monolayer and bilayer graphene).

XCrySDen can build simple {N}x{M}x{K} type of supercells.
To correctly extract the atoms within the supercell do the following:

1. generate the supercell via menu: Modify-->Number of units drawn

2. change unit of repetition to translational asymmetric unit via menu
Display-->Unit of repetition ...-->Translation asymmetric unit

3, save the XSF file via: File-->Save XSF structure

Then in the so generated file the atoms within the supercell are printed
in the "ATOMS" section.

Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html