[xcrysden] xcrysden script for MacOS

David Strubbe dstrubbe at civet.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 16 19:05:45 CEST 2012

Dear Dr. Kokalj,

I would like to suggest removal of these lines from the "xcrysden" script
in the package. If you are trying to use libraries other than in
external/lib, then these lines cause the system to look in the wrong places
and the executable cannot run, and I could only make it work by commenting
them out. These lines are within a check whether "external/lib" exists,
which I presume is an attempt to see whether the external libraries are
being used. However, the make target "xcrysden" downloads bwidget and
creates that directory, so it seems to me that it is not possible to build
the code without "external/lib" being created, and so these lines about
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH will always be invoked, even when that directory is not
being used for TCL, TK, GL, etc. I suggest that, in general, it is the
responsibility of the user to ensure that the correct search paths are set
in the environment, and that a silent attempt by the program to guess and
set the paths causes confusion.

#    if test -z "${DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH}"; then
#     DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR/external/lib"
#    else
#     DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="$XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR/external/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH"
#    fi
#    export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

Regards,
David Strubbe