[xcrysden] Boron atom is bigger than Nitrogen in the structure visualization

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Thu Jan 16 13:46:05 CET 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-14 at 03:19 -0800, Yusuf Zuntu wrote:
> Please may I know how to fix this problem. In my armchair
> hydrogen-terminated boron nitride nanoribbons structure visualization
> in XcrysDen, boron atom is bigger than nitrogen atom.

Which is the way it should be, because the size of plotted "balls" in
xcrysden is proportional with covalent radii.

> This is not suppose to be since atomic number of nitrogen atom is more
> than the atomic of atomic number of boron atom.

Is it?

Well, atomic number of N > B, but ...

See: https://www.webelements.com/periodicity/covalent_radius/
and try to answer to yourself why it is the other way around, i.e.,
r_B > r_N.

Anyway you can change the display radius via: Modify-->Atomic Radii menu
(e.g., if you want to base the size of the balls on the ionic radius
instead).

Regards,

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html