[xcrysden] Xcrysden / Macosx 10.9

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Tue Sep 2 17:07:36 CEST 2014

On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 21:20 +0000, Passerone, Daniele wrote:

> Dear developers,
> As far as I know, the problem by executing a successfully compiled
> xcrysden on Mavericks is still not solved.
> The solution of installing mesa 7.0.3 is not so easy, and the port
> proposed here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/41320
>

> has not been approved by macports, being 7.0 of mesa too obsolete.

Note that the old 7.x version of Mesa is not mandatory and xcrysden can
be also compiled/linked against newer versions of Mesa! However, for
macosx there have been reports that xcrysden does not work with some 8.x
versions of Mesa; I do not know whether it works or not with the newer
9.x and 10.x versions of Mesa.

The reason that xcrysden tries automatically to download and compile
Mesa-7.0.3 (if instructed to do so) is that according to my experience
the older 7.x version compiles much easier than the newer versions and
it has less dependencies (e.g, on dri, drm, x11proto, llvm, etc...).

I've just tried to compile xcrysden on x86_64-linux with the new
Mesa-10.2.6 and it works (note that starting from Mesa-9.x the GLU
library is separated from Mesa and should be installed and compiled
separately).

Regards,

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html