[xcrysden] How to display a whole molecule in unit cell with good connection?

Matic Poberznik matic.poberznik at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 11:14:45 CET 2015

Dear Yin,

If I understood your problem correctly, I think the best solution is to
open the Modify menu and choose the Atomic Radius (Shift+R) option. Once
there you can modify the Covalent Radius and Connectivity Factor for
each atom type to suit your needs.

In order to load your custom parameters when xcrysden starts you should
add a line in $HOME/.xcrysden/custom-definitions file, an example:

#
# this line changes the default atomic radius for aluminum to 1.6
#

set atmRad(13) 1.6

The custom definitions file is described on this link:
http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/custom.html

If the problem stems from the periodic boundary conditions then first
try the different display modes of unit cells, i. e. click the button
for the display of the translational asymmetric unit (bottom center of
the screen).  Then try Modify => Number of units drawn (Shift+N), if the
covalent radius is correct at least some molecules should be displayed
correctly. If that is not enough let me know, there is one more
workaround but it is a bit more complicated.

Best regards,

Matic