[xcrysden] error: reading file/tmp/xc_struc.3200

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Tue Aug 7 03:34:04 CEST 2018

Can you send the XCrySDen input file(s) and steps for reproducing the error?

What XCrySDen version is giving you that error?

Is the account you are logged into have file permissions to write and
read to the /tmp directory?  If you don't have file permission to write
to /tmp, maybe try changing XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH variable in your .bashrc
from "/tmp" to your home directory "/home/username/xcrys_tmp" (where
username is replaced by your user name).

If the program worked before but it just started happening recently,
maybe try using xc_cleanscratch.  As it says on the XCrySDen website:
"From time to time clean the scratch directory" [
http://web.mit.edu/xcrysden_v1.5.60/www/XCRYSDEN/doc/install.html ].

Are you using English (en_US.UTF-8) as the locale [
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/24/html/System_Administrators_Guide/ch-System_Locale_and_Keyboard_Configuration.html
]?  It might be that XCrySDen fails to work right for some scripts if
non-English locale is used on computer.

Are you using "xcrysden --pwi pw.in"?

If so, instead of for example:

~/xcrysden-1.5.60-bin-semishared/xcrysden --pwi pw.in

What happens if you do it in two different steps instead using
pwi2xsf.sh and the xcrysden --xsf option:

~/xcrysden-1.5.60-bin-semishared/scripts/pwi2xsf.sh pw.in
~/xcrysden-1.5.60-bin-semishared/xcrysden --xsf pwi2xsf.xsf_out

It doesn't seem to cause me any problems, but maybe it causes problems
for others.  In the pwi2xsf.sh file of XCrySDen 1.5.60, you might also
try opening this file in a text editor (like gedit) and remove the "\00"
seen on line 205 to see if that causes the error to disappear or not.