[xcrysden] Issues running XCrySDen for the first time (error while loading shared libraries: libTog12.0.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Lange, Andrew lange12 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 26 20:40:38 CET 2020

Hi All,

I am a new user and am having difficulty running XCrySDen for the first time.

I'm using the pre-compiled Cygwin version 1.6.2. I believe I've install all of the required packaged through the Cygwin installer. Here is what I see after I start an Xterm and send the ./xcrysden command within the parent, unpackaged tar.gz directory (note error in bold):

$ ./xcrysden

|*****************************************************************|
|*                                                               *|
|*  XCrySDen -- (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*               =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*---------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (tone.kokalj at ijs.si)                          *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia                *|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2014 by Anton Kokalj                   *|
|*                                                               *|
|*****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.6.2

  Please report bugs to: tone.kokalj at ijs.si

TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, J. Mol. Graph. Model., Vol. 17, pp. 176-179, 1999.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/cygdrive/c/Users/lange12/Desktop/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

.../xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/bin/xcrys.exe: error while lo
ading shared libraries: libTogl2.0.dll: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Seems that tcl-togl is not installed, but here's the proof:

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version        Status
tcl-togl             2.0-4          OK

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Best,
Andrew