[xcrysden] Running xcrysden on windows subshell for linux (wsl)

Jeremy Richard jeremy.richard001 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 07:05:10 CEST 2020

Hello,

I am trying to run the latest version of xcrysden for wsl, version 1.6.2.
My issue is that when I try to run, it gives the following error:

application-specific initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable                     Error in startup script: can't
read "xcrys(platform)": no such variable
               while executing
                                                     "if { $xcrys(platform)
== "windows" } {
                       # testing ...
                                                                 rename
exec _tcl_exec

proc exec {args} {
                                              global env

                                                     # first try a normal
exec..."
                 (file
"/home/jeremy/quantumEspresso/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
line 19)                               invoked from within

 "source $system(TOPDIR)/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
                                               (file
"/home/jeremy/quantumEspresso/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/Tcl/xcInit.tcl"
line 449)

I see on the download page of the website it says I need to "define the
DISPLAY enviromental variable, i.e., export DISPLAY=:0". How do I do this?
Where would I do this? I'm quite lost.

Thank you,

-Jeremy Richard