[xcrysden] Saving the grid for an expanded system

Gavin Abo gsabo at crimson.ua.edu
Sat Apr 24 18:44:03 CEST 2021

If I recall correctly, while viewing a unit cell in xcrysden, there is
option that can be selected that can repeat the unit cell in different
directions so that it looks like a supercell.  It only worked view only
and could not edit and save the structure. What you describe is similar
to that, so the behavior you describe sounds normal for xcrysden but
others in the mailing list may correct me if I'm wrong about that.

If you want xcryden to show the supercell instead of unit cell, you most
likely have to go back to your DFT program and change it there from a
unit cell to a supercell.  For example, if you were using WEIN2k, you
would have to change case.struct file.

As described at

http://susi.theochem.tuwien.ac.at/reg_user/faq/supercells.html

WIEN2k has a "supercell" or "structeditor" program that can take the
unit cell and duplicate it in multiple directions to have a supercell.

If you feel it is not necessary for you to have the supercell in the DFT
calculation, either rerun the charge density calculation on the unit
cell to get the view as you described or you could look into modifying
the case.xsf file by hand.  The XSF format is described at:

http://www.xcrysden.org/doc/XSF.html