[xcrysden] (solved) xcd aborts maybe in conjunction with some libraries

Lorenzo Paulatto paulatto at sissa.it
Thu Feb 5 14:10:37 CET 2009

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:59:26 +0100, Lorenzo Paulatto <paulatto at sissa.it> wrote:
>> It is difficult to say what is goin on, but according to your debug
>> message seems it crashes due to Tcl/Tk not due to libGL (Mesa).

As anticipated to Tone, I was finally able to solve the problem.

It looks like somewhere in the code there is a double free or double alloc. It should not be a fatal problem in itself, but cause the program to be aborted if the environment variable MALLOC_CHECK_ (with a trailing underscore) is set to "2" or "3".

An easy workaround is to unset the variable, or to set it to "0" or "1", further info can be found in the malloc man page.
Just add the following line at the beginning of $XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR/xcrysden to fix it forever:
unset MALLOC_CHECK_

cheers, and thanks to Tone for the support

--
Lorenzo Paulatto
SISSA  &  DEMOCRITOS (Trieste)

     *** save italian brains ***