[xcrysden] running XCrysden on SUSE 11.2 (64 bit) error [2]

Masoud Nahali masoudnahali at live.com
Thu Mar 4 20:24:06 CET 2010

‏Dear XCrysden users

At first, I thanks Tobias because of his kind attention and helps. I cannot run XCrysden as mentioned in my previous post. when I write ./xcrysden I see the XCrysden graphical page only for one second and then disappears. I have installed Parallel Quantum Espresso successfully on my system and without XCrysden I cannot see the results.

Reply to Tobias's suggestions:

linux-vs0r:/home/koa # rpm -q bwidget
bwidget-1.9.0-2.2.noarch

linux-vs0r:/home/koa # rpm -ql bwidget|grep widget.tcl
/usr/share/tcl/bwidget1.9.0/widget.tcl

linux-vs0r:/home/koa # cat /etc/SuSE-release
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64)
VERSION = 11.2

I am sure about the specification of my system: the OS is SUSE 11.2 (64 bit). I have installed Openmpi for parallel installation of QE. SUSE 11.2 (64 bit) has not "libstdc++33-3.3.3-7.4.x86_64" and I have installed it previously on my system. I have a single PC with these specifications:
 CPU: AMD(3 Cores, 790 GX), M.B: ASUS(M4A78T-E), Graphics: ATi RAEON HD 3300, and 8 Gigs DDR3 memory.

the error :

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

Running on platform : unix
   Operating system : Linux
Package ImageMagick's convert: /usr/bin/convert
Package ImageMagick's import: /usr/bin/import
Package Gifsicle: /usr/bin/gifsicle
Package Xwd: /usr/bin/xwd
Executing: /home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden/bin/ftnunit
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.
koa at linux-vs0r:~/XCrysden/usr/bin> ./xcrysden
ls: cannot access /usr/share/tcl/bwidget*: No such file or directory

|****************************************************************|
|*                                          *|
|*  XCrySDen - (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*         =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*--------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                          *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (Tone.Kokalj at ijs.si)                         *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia               *|
|*                                          *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2009 by Anton Kokalj                  *|
|*                                                              *|
|****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.5.21

  Please report bugs to: Tone.Kokalj at ijs.si

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, Comp. Mater. Sci., Vol. 28, p. 155, 2003.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

Running on platform : unix
   Operating system : Linux
Package ImageMagick's convert: /usr/bin/convert
Package ImageMagick's import: /usr/bin/import
Package Gifsicle: /usr/bin/gifsicle
Package Xwd: /usr/bin/xwd
Executing: /home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden/bin/ftnunit
drmRadeonCmdBuffer: -22. Kernel failed to parse or rejected command stream. See dmesg for more info.

Another stupendous problem: commonly I write ./xcrysden in the konsole from my home (not root, without sudo su and going to root) but when I do the same in root konsole I will take another lines and do not see
the graphical page for that 1 second !!

Directory: /home/koa/XCrysden/usr/bin
Thu Mar  4 21:35:26 IRST 2010
koa at linux-vs0r:~/XCrysden/usr/bin> sudo su
root's password:
linux-vs0r:/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/bin # ./xcrysden

  Please report bugs to: Tone.Kokalj at ijs.si

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, Comp. Mater. Sci., Vol. 28, p. 155, 2003.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
Error in startup script: can't read "xcrys(platform)": no such variable
    while executing
"if { $xcrys(platform) == "windows" } {
    # testing ...
    rename exec _tcl_exec

    proc exec {args} {
     global env

    # first try a normal exec..."
    (file "/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden/Tcl/cygwin.tcl" line 19)
    invoked from within
"source $system(TOPDIR)/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
    (file "/home/koa/XCrysden/usr/lib/xcrysden/Tcl/xcInit.tcl" line 433)