[xcrysden] Install fails at startup in function glLightfv()

Jim Parker jimparker96313 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 01:16:40 CET 2011

Hello,
  I have used this program on a Windows machine, but I am trying to
install on a Linux box.  Normally, I find it harder to compile these
kinds of codes on Windows vice linux, so this is a first for me...

I have tried installing the shared/semi-shared and source versions,
and yes I cleanly separated the different versions...

All crash at the same point during start up.  When I run with
$> xcrysden -d

I get to the line
Executing: XCrySDen-1.5.24-src/bin/ftnunit

0x00596c06 in glLightfv() from /usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1

I compiled the source code with debugging enabled and tracked the
error to line 408 in C/lighting.c

line 408:  glLightfv(_LIGHT[il], GL_AMBIENT, light[il].ambient)

At this point I am stumped,  the value of il = 0, which would indicate
this command fails the first time it is called.

My system is an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS distro
Intel 945GM graphics card

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,