[xcrysden] Library problem when installing Xcrysden in Windows 7

Lucia Rodrigo Insausti lucia.rodrigo at uam.es
Mon Aug 6 16:33:39 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Finally I got to install the right packages of cygwin (I think) but I'm
still not able to run the program properly. Now I get this new error
message:

$ ./xcrysden

|*****************************************************************|
|*                                                               *|
|*  XCrySDen -- (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*               =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*---------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (tone.kokalj at ijs.si)                          *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia                *|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2012 by Anton Kokalj                   *|
|*                                                               *|
|*****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.5.53

  Please report bugs to: tone.kokalj at ijs.si

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, Comp. Mater. Sci., Vol. 28, p. 155, 2003.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/home/xcrysden-1.5.53-bin-cygwin
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

*Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: can't read "xcrys(platform)": no such variable
    while executing
"if { $xcrys(platform) == "windows" } {
    # testing ...
    rename exec _tcl_exec

    proc exec {args} {
        global env

        # first try a normal exec..."
    (file "/home/xcrysden-1.5.53-bin-cygwin/Tcl/cygwin.tcl" line 19)
    invoked from within
"source $system(TOPDIR)/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
    (file "/home/xcrysden-1.5.53-bin-cygwin/Tcl/xcInit.tcl" line 443)

*I have Xming installed in my computer which I thought would be enough as a
X-server. But as I have already said I'm not very familiar with this kind
of installing processes so I just keep trying everything I can think of.

This one seems to be a problem of the program itself so I hope you can help
me! :)

Thank you!!

Lucia