[xcrysden] The rapid screen flickering issue on Mac OS X

Dan Michael O. Heggø d.m.o.heggo at ub.uio.no
Fri Jan 20 17:53:34 CET 2012

Hi,

First I'm very glad to see XCrysDen now compiles quite easily on Mac
OS X! (at least when having a rich MacPorts installation)
The shared and semishared packages also starts without any library
issues on my Mac OS X Lion (10.7.2) installation.

But there is an issue in every case... a quite big one... I'm
observing the "rapid flicker" issue described earlier here:

http://www.democritos.it/pipermail/xcrysden/2011-July/001006.html
http://markmail.org/message/zfol72gfbbxnmyox

Sadly this makes the program quite unusable. Are there any news on
this one? Or ideas about what might cause it? I've updated all
macports packages.
Thinking perhaps this was an issue with MESA on Mac OS X Lion, I tried
running som MESA tests, but they ran fine without any flickering.
Also, other X11 apps run fine.

And then, curiously when I tried to record my screen using
screencapture, the flickering did not show in the recorded movie! But
David also noted in one of the mails above that the flickering
disappears over VNC, so I guess it's the same (strange) cause behind
this.

I use mesa @7.11.2_0

otool -L xcrys returns:

	/opt/local/lib/libfftw3.3.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current
version 7.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libmeschach.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0,
current version 1.2.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libtk8.5.dylib (compatibility version 8.5.0, current
version 8.5.11)
	/opt/local/lib/libtcl8.5.dylib (compatibility version 8.5.0, current
version 8.5.11)
	/opt/local/lib/libGLU.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.3.0, current
version 1.3.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libGL.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.2.0, current
version 1.2.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXmu.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current
version 9.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current
version 10.0.0)
	/opt/local/lib/libXext.6.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current
version 11.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 159.1.0)

Best wishes,
Dan Michael Heggø