[xcrysden] Issue with image printing (cygwin)

Alejandro Suarez al.suarez.ctr at nrl.navy.mil
Thu Jun 13 15:43:18 CEST 2013

Hello Everyone,

I am unsure if this is a cygwin, imagemagick, or xcrysden error, but I
figured I would start here.

Whenever I try exporting an animation, printing to an image, or even
viewing the temporary *.ppm files created during viewing of an XSF file,
I am given a highly distorted image. As an example, I have attached a
tarball with two files: a simple XSF file of ZnS (from the XSF format
documentation) and the result of exporting the frame to PNG. The result
is similar when exporting to any other format, except for the onerously
data-heavy vectoral eps (bmp-based eps is still distorted).  The images
are distorted when viewed through imagemagick or through the native
windows gallery.

For reference, I am running XCrysden 1.5.53 within cygwin on a Windows 7
64-bit machine. My version of imagemagick is the latest available
through cygwin's setup.exe library (version 6.7.6.3-3).

Also, this issue occurs with and without openGL support enabled within
cygwin.

Any help in tracing the source of this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance,
-Alejandro