[xcrysden] Problem in making NEB movie

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Fri Apr 11 17:41:40 CEST 2014

On Wed, 2014-04-09 at 17:06 +0530, Mitul Mundra wrote:
> Dear Xcrysden users,
>

> I am a beginner in using Xcrysden. I am using Xcrysden to visualize my
> files from Quantum Espresso. In the process, I am tyring to making a
> movie using Xcrysden (Version 1.5.24) from the axsf ( Animation
> Xcrysden Structure Format) file which I obtained by doing a NEB
> calculation in QE. The dropbox link for my axsf file is
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/d15wx1v9nasyrqy/Si_1_Li_within_neb.axsf . I
> am getting an error in the execution of parameter-file
> (/usr/bin/mencoder mf://anim-0000.png, ...... -mf fps=10.0
> -o /home/mitul/Desktop/movie.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4)
> which says that the number of files is 0. Now I have a couple of
> doubts.

At the bottom of the "Animation Control Center" window there is an
option "Edit flags or parameter-file before encoding". If this option is
"on", then you have the possibility to edit the "script" used for
encoding the movie. Read the man page of mencoder and try to figure out
what is incompatible between xcrysdem's used syntax and that of your
mencoder.

The other option is to make an animated-gif instead (you only have 7
images).

> 1. I have 7 images in my NEB calculation but in the parameter file,
> only 6 images are being displayed (anim-0000.png - anim-0005.png).
> What is it that I am doing wrong here?

The image is saved whenever the display changes, hence likely the first
image is skipped. Start recording with image-2 and as a first move go
backward from image-2 to image-1 (this will save the image-1), then go
forward to the last image.

> 2. Is it possible to see my temporary image files which I am saving in
> my Current working directory because I don't see any temporary image
> files anywhere?

Yes, tick the "current working directory" option in the "Animation
Control Center" window.

Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html