[xcrysden] BadWindow error when launching newly installed xcrysden

Dan Mazur daniel.mazur at mcgill.ca
Tue Oct 14 19:43:59 CEST 2014

Hello,

I have compiled the source distribution of xcrysden v 1.5.60 on CentOS 6.3
and the compilation and installation appears to proceed without errors.

When I run xcrysden, it briefly opens an X11 splash window, but then
crashes with the following messages:

$ xcrysden

|*****************************************************************|
|*                                                               *|
|*  XCrySDen -- (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*               =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*---------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (tone.kokalj at ijs.si)                          *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia                *|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2014 by Anton Kokalj                   *|
|*                                                               *|
|*****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.5.60

  Please report bugs to: tone.kokalj at ijs.si

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, J. Mol. Graph. Model., Vol. 17, pp. 176-179, 1999.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/software/CentOS-6/applications/xcrysden-1.5.60/share/xcrysden-1.5.60
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/home/tfosrgm/xcrys_tmp

Running on platform : unix
   Operating system : Linux
Package ImageMagick's convert: /usr/bin/convert
Package ImageMagick's import: /usr/bin/import
Package Ppmtompeg: /usr/bin/ppmtompeg
Package Xwd: /usr/bin/xwd
Executing:
/software/CentOS-6/applications/xcrysden-1.5.60/lib/xcrysden-1.5.60/ftnunit
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 3
    ResourceID in failed request: 0xffffffff
    Serial number of failed request: 799
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 3
    ResourceID in failed request: 0xffffffff
    Serial number of failed request: 801
Error in startup script: Togl: couldn't get visual
    while executing
"togl .mesa  -width          400  -height         400  -ident
.mesa  -rgba           true   -redsize        1      -greensize      1
-blu..."
    (procedure "PlaceGlobWin" line 105)
    invoked from within
"PlaceGlobWin 0 [expr round(650 * $fac1)] [expr round(650 * $fac1)]"
    (procedure "ViewMol" line 25)
    invoked from within
"ViewMol ."
    invoked from within
"if { [llength $argv] > 2 } {
    parseComLinArg [lrange $argv 2 end]
} else {
    ViewMol .
}"
    (file
"/software/CentOS-6/applications/xcrysden-1.5.60/share/xcrysden-1.5.60/Tcl/xcInit.tcl"
line 609)
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
    Major opcode of failed request: 12
    ResourceID in failed request: 0xffffffff
    Serial number of failed request: 804

I do not have problems with other OpenGL or X11 programs. I first tried
linking against libraries (including mesa) on the system, but got this
error. Then, I tried downloading and compiling the external libraries by
activating the required flags in Make.sys. However, I again got the above
error.

I am not sure of the reason for the error. If someone can help me to debug
the issue and complete my installation of xcrysden, it would be appreciated.

-Dan