[xcrysden] XCrySDen now available in MacPorts

David Strubbe dstrubbe at civet.berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 2 22:39:30 CEST 2015

Hello all,

I would like to announce that I have successfully included XCrySDen version
1.5.60 in the MacPorts package manager (www.macports.org) as of today:
https://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=xcrysden. This link can
be added to the page at http://www.xcrysden.org/Download.html#__toc__1.
The code can be installed by "port install xcrysden +x11".

Previously XCrySDen could not be included properly in MacPorts because the
code only worked with a very old version of Mesa on MacOS; however now it
can work with Mesa 10.5.4 (as well as with system OpenGL libraries),
according to my tests on Yosemite (OSX 10.10.5). The key was the patch
described by Hideyuki Kamisaka on Nov. 5, 2014 in this email list, namely
setting "-accum          false" in the Togl options.

I have in the process also produced an updated version of the file
system/Make.macosx-x11 for Make.sys, which had been produced many years ago
and would not work on recent versions of MacOS. The new one is included
below for any users who wish to build from source on MacOS. Tone, I
recommend you replace the old file with this one in the next release.

Best,
David Strubbe

# System-dependent definitions for Mac OS X
#
# David Strubbe 1 Oct. 2015
# Tested on Yosemite, OSX 10.10.5
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# !!! EDIT ACCORDING TO YOUR OWN NEEDS !!!
# In particular, you must specify:
# FC (Fortran compiler)
# TK_LIB and TCL_LIB (location of Tcl and Tk)
# FFTW3_LIB and FFTW3_INCDIR (location of FFTW3 library and header)

# Use of the MacPorts package manager (www.macports.org) and 'port install
xcrysden' is recommended
# as an easier approach than using this file to build from source.
# MacPorts can be used to obtain the dependencies: port install gcc5 tcl tk
+x11 fftw-3
# tk must have +x11 variant; a different version of gcc can be used instead
if desired.

# X11 and OpenGL from system are being used.

#------------------------------------------------------------------------
# compilers & flags
#------------------------------------------------------------------------
CFLAGS = -O3 -DUSE_INTERP_RESULT
CC     = cc
FFLAGS = -O3
FC     = gfortran-mp-5

#------------------------------------------------------------------------
# X-libraries & include files
#------------------------------------------------------------------------

X_LIB     = /opt/X11/lib/libXmu.dylib /opt/X11/lib/libX11.dylib
/opt/X11/lib/libXext.dylib
X_INCDIR  = -I/opt/X11/include

COMPILE_TCLTK = no # generally will not compile without passing args to
configure script
COMPILE_FFTW  = no # generally will not compile without passing args to
configure script
COMPILE_MESA  = no
COMPILE_MESCHACH = no

# Libraries and include files

TK_LIB      = /opt/local/lib/libtk.dylib
TCL_LIB     = /opt/local/lib/libtcl.dylib
GLU_LIB     = /opt/X11/lib/libGLU.dylib
GL_LIB      = /opt/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
FFTW3_LIB   = /opt/local/lib/libfftw3.dylib

GL_INCDIR    = -I/opt/X11/include
FFTW3_INCDIR = -I/opt/local/include