[xcrysden] Issues running XCrySDen for the first time (package require BWidget)

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Tue Oct 6 09:26:13 CEST 2020

On Mon, 2020-10-05 at 22:58 -0500, Enrique Lugo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am a new user and am having difficulty running XCrySDen for the
> first time.
> I'm using the pre-compiled Cygwin version 1.6.2. I believe I've
> installed all of the required packaged through the
> Cygwin installer. Here is what I see after I start an Xterm and send
> the ./xcrysden command within the parent,
> unpackaged tar.gz directory
> $ ./xcrysden
> ./xcrysden: line 65: cd: too many arguments
>
> XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/cygdrive/c/Users/ENRIQUE LUGO/Documents/Materias
> (UNAM)/7mo Semestre/Simulaciones Computacionales/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-
> shared

The problem is that you have spaces in your directory names (e.g
"ENRIQUE LUGO", "Materias (UNAM)", ...). This is a very bad idea on
Unix systems, as it is likely to break many things, not just xcrysden.

Install xcrysden to some directory that does not contain the spaces.

Best regards,
Tone
--
Jožef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia