[xcrysden] xcrysden Windows installation fails

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Mon Jan 12 09:13:57 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 08:24 -0800, Jonas Baltrusaitis wrote:
> The problem is that I do specify tmp folder without white spaces, but it still tries to look at this "default" path and completely disregards the path I specified
>
>    Please specify XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH directory (default: /cygdrive/c/Documents and
>  Settings/Jonas/Desktop/xcrys_tmp): C:/xcrysden16/tmp
> test: and: unknown operand

Here there are two issues: the first is general, and related to the fact
that unix HOME enviromental variable points to rather unusual path that
contains whitespaces. This will break not only xcrysden but also many
other things. The second is that you specified the windows-type path in
your answer. Instead of C:/xcrysden16/tmp you should
specify: /cygdrive/c/xcrysden16/tmp
(Note however that running xcConfigure is only optional)

You may want set HOME variable to point to some place that does not
contain whitespaces (I don't understand why in your cygwin the HOME
variable points to that place at all). The default is
usually /home/$USER, so you may try:

cd <to-place-where-xcrysden-is-installed>
export HOME=/home/$USER
./xcrysden

>    creating new /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Jonas/Desktop/.xcrysden/custo
> m-definitions ... cp: copying multiple files, but last argument `Settings/Jonas/
> Desktop/.xcrysden/custom-definitions' is not a directory
> Try `cp --help' for more information.

This is another yet failure due to whitespaces in $HOME.

--
Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html