[xcrysden] how to render pre-calculted 3D electron density for Wien2K in Xcrysden?

Tone Kokalj tone.kokalj at ijs.si
Fri Jun 22 12:23:15 CEST 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-14 at 16:57 +0800, ZhenChen wrote:
> Dear xcrysden users,
>
>     I have a question about wien2k electron density plot.
>
>     As I know, we can use xcrysden to plot precalculated 2D electron
> density and to render and calculate 3D electron density using 'x
> -lapw5' command simutaneously.
>
>    I am eager to know if it is convenient to render pre-calculated 3D
> electron density? In my case, I use Wien2k to calculate electron
> density in a supercomputer center and plot it in my personal computer,
> so I can't calculate electron density in my computer where the
> xcrysden runs.

Unfortunately, there is no direct of way of doing this by xcrysden.
You can, however, calculate a series of 2D slices on a supercomputer
and then concatenate the *.rho files into a 3D XSF file, which can then
be used on a local machine.
You may find it convenient to write a few scripts to automate this *.rho
--> XSF process.

>    What should I modify about the commands? Do I have to write a whole
> new script? What files do I have to get before a plot?

If you know a bit about the Tcl syntax you may look into the
wnMakeIn5_2D3D procedure which is located in Tcl/wnDensity.tcl file.
This is the proc that do the "3D" job. There you may see how the *.in5
files are generated and how the resulting *.rho files are transformed
into XSF format.

Anton Kokalj
J. Stefan Institute, Jamova 39, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(tel: +386-1-477-3523 // fax:+386-1-477-3822)

Please, if possible, avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
See:  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html