[xcrysden] using xcrysden through Cygwin

Cameron Foss cjfoss at umass.edu
Tue May 31 23:02:41 CEST 2016

Hello all,

I am trying to open an xcrysden window on my windows 10 machine though
CygWin. After opening a cygwin terminal, I ssh to a linux machine where I
have xcrysden installed and as far as I understand I should be able to just
run xcrysden? However when i prompt the window I get the following error:

%%
XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/usr/share/xcrysden
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

Application initialization failed: no display name and no $DISPLAY
environment variable
Error in startup script: can't read "xcrys(platform)": no such variable
    while executing
"if { $xcrys(platform) == "windows" } {
    # testing ...
    rename exec _tcl_exec

    proc exec {args} {
        global env

        # first try a normal exec..."
    (file "/usr/share/xcrysden/Tcl/cygwin.tcl" line 19)
    invoked from within
"source $system(TOPDIR)/Tcl/cygwin.tcl"
    (file "/usr/share/xcrysden/Tcl/xcInit.tcl" line 443)
%%

It seems like the problem could be resolved by setting the environment var
$DISPLAY however I am not positive what to set it to?

I have seen some documentation that states that some auxiliary programs
should be installed such as Tcl, however it is not 100% clear whether these
should be installed on my linux machine that I am ssh'ing to OR if they
should be installed in my cygwin terminal?

Best,
Cameron