[xcrysden] XCrySDen on Fedora 30

John Kissane john.kissane at tyndall.ie
Fri Feb 28 13:12:48 CET 2020

Hello, one of our researchers asked me to install this software on Fedora 30 but the current version (1.6.2) doesn't work due to a missing library:

/local/XCrySDen/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/bin/xcrys: error while loading shared libraries: libTogl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried the old trick of linking the newer version that comes with Fedora 30 but that then produces a different error:

#ln -s /usr/lib64/tcl8.6/Togl2.1/libTogl2.1.so libTogl.so.

xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared]$ ./xcrysden

|*****************************************************************|
|*                                                               *|
|*  XCrySDen -- (X-Window) CRYstalline Structures and DENsities  *|
|*               =         ===         =              ===        *|
|*---------------------------------------------------------------*|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Anton Kokalj (tone.kokalj at ijs.si<mailto:tone.kokalj at ijs.si>)                          *|
|*    Jozef Stefan Institute, Ljubljana, Slovenia                *|
|*                                                               *|
|*    Copyright (c) 1996--2019 by Anton Kokalj                   *|
|*                                                               *|
|*****************************************************************|

  Version: 1.6.2

  Please report bugs to: tone.kokalj at ijs.si<mailto:tone.kokalj at ijs.si>

  TERMS OF USE:
  -------------
  XCRYSDEN is released under the GNU General Public License.

  Whenever graphics generated by XCRYSDEN are used in scientific
  publications, it shall be greatly appreciated to include an explicit
  reference. The preferred form is the following:

  [ref] A. Kokalj, J. Mol. Graph. Model., Vol. 17, pp. 176-179, 1999.
        Code available from http://www.xcrysden.org/.

XCRYSDEN_TOPDIR=/local/XCrySDen/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared
XCRYSDEN_SCRATCH=/tmp

Running on platform : unix
   Operating system : Linux
Package ImageMagick's convert: /usr/bin/convert
Package ImageMagick's import: /usr/bin/import
Package Ppmtompeg: /usr/bin/ppmtompeg
Package Babel: /usr/bin/babel
Package Xwd: /usr/bin/xwd
Executing: /local/XCrySDen/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/bin/ftnunit
Error in startup script: Can not set ident to a window path name
Couldn't configure togl widget
    while executing
"togl .mesa  -width          400  -height         400  -ident          .mesa  -rgba           $toglOpt(rgba)           -redsize        $toglOpt(redsize..."
    (procedure "PlaceGlobWin" line 107)
    invoked from within
"PlaceGlobWin 0 [expr round(670 * $fac1)] [expr round(670 * $fac1)]"
    (procedure "ViewMol" line 25)
    invoked from within
"ViewMol ."
    invoked from within
"if { [llength $argv] > 2 } {
    parseComLinArg [lrange $argv 2 end]
} else {
    ViewMol .
}"
    (file "/local/XCrySDen/xcrysden-1.6.2-bin-shared/Tcl/xcInit.tcl" line 633)

The previous version 1.5.60 is working ok but would be nice to have the latest. Just wondering if anybody has come across a workaround for this?

Thanks!

--

University College Cork
Lee Maltings